Tuesday is Dating & Relationships day at AlexShalman.com
The way you choose to present yourself to the world is a personal choice. Instead of being a slave to reactions, you could make a proactive decision to be a rational and respectful person. Being a genuinely respectful person is a sure fire way to feel good about yourself and make friends at the same time. In fact, being respectful has plenty of other benefits.
Benefits of being respectful
- You never know when you’ll meet again. Treating someone with utmost respect now will leave a memorable impression on them. You never know when that person will be in a position where you need their help in the future. A bit shallow, yet very realistic way of looking at respect.
- Your reputation precedes you. Tied in with #1, you never know who is watching. Wouldn’t you prefer to be known as the nice and respectful person, rather than the contrary?
- Avoid Conflict. In his guest post on how to deal with opposition, Aaron Potts, explains that people are after respect, and giving them what they want is a great way to diffuse a conflict.
- Make them happy. Why not be respectful just to make someone else feel good? Who knows what the butterfly effect of your niceness will be. Maybe you’ll have the whole world being respectful back and forth. I can dream, can’t I? Either way, you’ll still make someone feel important, and valuable.
- Expand your world. In my law of attraction article, I stated that what you think about expands. Following #4, if you expand your thoughts of respect enough, how soon will the whole world be treating each other with respect?
- Role model paradigm. Is it possible that someone in your life looks up to you? Kids, friends, siblings, or employees? Take a look at what you’re putting out into the world, and what kind of an example you would like to be setting.
- Personal Challenge. Every day you get to challenge yourself to improve in some way. Challenge yourself to be as respectful as possible, and feel a sense of accomplishment with every respectful interaction.
- Be the bigger person. If nothing else, being the respectful half of a conversation will allow you to feel a sense of accomplishment that comes from knowing that you were the bigger person. Best case scenario; the other person will return the gesture.
So you see, being respectful has many long term and instant advantages when it comes to relationships of all kinds. Can you think of any other benefits of relationships? Let us know in the comment box below.