“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t
own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it
you can never get it back.”
Time is and always has been our most precious commodity. Unfortunately from the looks of the global economy it is very apparent that time is being taken very much for granted more so than ever before.
The interesting thing about human nature is that no matter which part of the world we live in we tend to waste time in a very similar way. It almost seems like a conspiracy really.
10 Biggest Time Management Pitfalls
1. Work-Home Commute. In every major city in the world there are people traveling over an hour to reach their work destination from home. Huge waste of time that could be used working or spent with family. Huge waste of money on gas and cars. Huge impact on environment by emitting green-house gases and other pollutants.
- Solution: Live closer to work, you might even save money if you take all factors into account. Alternatively, you can now find an abundance of work online, so consider making that switch.
2. Buying Ridiculous Items. We’re working long hours, hours that could be spent with family, but we’re using that money to buy ridiculous things. Huge houses we could get lost in, expensive dresses we only wear to one party, platinum spoons with diamond handles, and television sets bigger than the walls of most houses.
- Solution: Spend conservatively on the essentials, work less, and spend more time with family.
3. Mind-Numbing Television. The world sits hypnotized in front of the television screens for hours each day. Is the information that’s going into the human brain through movies, main-stream media, and the gossip of real T.V. really that beneficial for us?
- Solution: Unplug and spend prime time doing activities that nourish our souls, pursue our dreams, and once again spend time with our favorite people.
4. Entertaining Bad Company. There really isn’t any excuse for subjecting ourselves to the company of people who are bringing us down in life. The type of energy vampires who suck the life, vitality, optimism and dreams right out of us with constant complaining, as well as their input on why life sucks and you’re going to fail.
- Solution: Get rid of them. The world is full of amazing people, I’ve seen a bunch. Surround yourself with the best people in the world, and keep them close.
5. Holding The Grudge. You do know that while you’re staying awake at night, being mad at how terrible someone is for the way that they wronged poor little old you, they are enjoying a good night’s rest, right? Take a moment to think about that.
- Solution: Thought about it? Did you think about just letting the grudge go?
6. The Lack of Presence. Ever notice that while you’re supposed to be paying attention your mind wanders to something else? When you get to that something else your mind wanders to the next thing? When you’re living in this state of future, you aren’t giving your 100% to what you are doing. You are constantly wasting the time away.
- Solution: Give your 110% to whatever you are currently undertaking. If whatever is at hand is not worth your 110% than that’s a sign that you should drop it and pursue what’s real for you.
7. No Vision To Strive For. Are you living your life lost without a major goal or life plan? If that’s the case you’re probably finding that you spend your days drifting, like in The Graduate, instead of working hard to accomplish what’s important.
- Solution: Spend some time on planning what you want out of life. This investment will be priceless once you get focused and on point.
8. No Experience of Pleasure. Are you using all of your time for work, work, work? If so, you’re missing out on the point of life, which is to experience all the pleasures that were created for you to experience.
- Solution: Read 55 Momumental Ways To Enjoy Life’s Greatest Pleasures, and take time to do everything on the list.
9. Sleeping Too Much. There really is a thing known as sleeping too much. Six-eight hours is plenty for most people, but they get more than what’s necessary. The reasons could be a lack of health, over-eating, drugs, depression, etc.
- Solution: Have a real purpose in life. This will get you off the drugs and depression. Eat small portions of non-greasy, plant-based whole foods- this will fill you with vitality.
10. Not Being Valuable. The biggest waste of time and oxygen that you can be is not being a valuable person. Not valuable to yourself, to your family, to society, and to the planet.
- Solution: By the time your time expires, make sure you can answer how you’ve left this world a better place than you got it.
Focus On The Goal
I might be stepping over my boundary here, but I was under the assumption that work was mainly to provide the means to support and spend more time with our beloved families. I believe that if we keep that goal in mind we will not only free up our time, but increase our happiness like killing two birds with one stone.
“Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.”
If you enjoyed this article, please share it on StumbleUpon or bookmark it on del.icio.us. I appreciate your support